This fan post is written by one of our site members. Let them know what you think and feel in the comments below!
So, at the request of Rahul, I am going to go ahead and write a fan post. Please forgive me if this turns out poorly 🙂
So, it’s clear this team is not very good. What would I do, moving forward? It’s clear, to me, that we just need to start a mini-rebuild, even if Arte (and others) don’t want it. So:
- At the trade deadline, trade Simba and La Stella for anyone you can. Both are on expiring contracts and won’t be retained. Might get a relief prospect at best, but our bullpen is so bad that I would totally welcome that at this point.
- Consider trading Heaney, Bundy, and Goodwin at the trade deadline if there are good deals to be had. If not, consider it in the offseason. The goal will be to acquire young pitching prospects and, perhaps, a catching prospect.
- Continue to lose as many games as possible, such that we end up with either the #1 or #2 pick and draft either Rocker or Leiter.
- In the offseason, let Eppler go (his contract is up anyway) and hire someone from either the Dodgers or Rays. This, IMO, is the most important part – we need someone who will deeply invest in player development. We need a leader who will find the Max Muncys, Chris Taylors, Mike Yaztremskis, etc – under the radar guys who suddenly start performing really, really well. And someone who will deeply invest in the farm system.
- Don’t sign anyone in the offseason beyond a one year contract.
- The goal is to have a very good team by 2022.
The blocks are in place for a competitive team, but I think we need to take a step back, trade some of our current players for prospects, and then reload for a 2022 and beyond run.
Imagine a 2022 offense/pitching staff of:
SS Fletcher, RF Marsh, CF Trout, 3B Rendon, DH Ohtani, LF Adell, 1B Thaiss?, C ??, 2B Rengifo or Jones
Rotation: “Ace,” Detmers, Rodriguez, Canning, Sandoval/Suarez/Barria, with Kumar or Leiter in development
The lineup, to me, is pretty good. It shouldn’t be hard to find a decent first baseman, so catcher is probably our only hole. We don’t need too much in the way of position players. But our rotation is what needs a lot of help, and it’s why I’d trade guys we have now (Heaney, Bundy) who won’t be here beyond 2021, as well as continuing to draft and develop whoever we can (with our new GM, who can hopefully utilize their strategy to find better pitching prospects than Eppler has). Hopefully some of those spots above can be filled by prospects we acquire in trades. We also should also have some money to spend on *one* top-flight SP in free agency, so perhaps in the 2021 offseason, we can use that money to sign someone to fill a hole at the top of the rotation.